POP Full Form- What is POP?
The term POP is an acronym for Post Office Protocol or Point of Presence. It acts as a point of demarcation where many devices happen to establish a connection for communicating with one another. A POP works with various high-speed technologies and related devices. It consists of routers, servers, switches, and various other equipment for the network interface (primarily located on the data center).
A commendable example of POP is a local point of access that lets an ISP (Internet Service Provider) establish a connection with all of its connections.
Now that we understand POP full form- let us take a look at some of its significant characteristics, pros, and cons.
Characteristics of POP
- It supports both types of functions- download and delete even if it’s offline.
- It is capable of handling email access only when all the emails are transmitted via the SMTP.
- The POP requires no mail gateways because of its native nature.
Pros of POP
- You get very convenient and easy access to mail via the POP.
- It stores all the downloaded messages on a computer’s disc drive.
- The mailboxes have no maximum size (apart from the overall scale of the disc drive).
- One can easily access the attachments because they already exist on their PCs.
Cons of POP
- It makes the PC vulnerable to virus attacks because POP downloads all the attachments on a PC.
- In case an attachment consists of a virus, the process of opening it becomes very difficult and risky for any user.
- Email folders have a higher chance of getting corrupted.
Apart from POP full form, here are a few more technical terms that you might have doubts with:
LAN Full-Form – The term LAN is an acronym for Local Area Network. It refers to a group of various devices joining together in one physical location, like a home, office, hospital, school, building, store, etc. We generally use a LAN to connect various computers or workstations in a workplace/ building so that they get internet access and share similar resources. A LAN usually works for a small area, like within a school campus, office headquarters, a building, etc.
WPA Full Form – The term WPA is an acronym for Wi-Fi Protected Access. It refers to a security protocol type that helps in accessing wi-fi. The WPA lets a user secure the overall networks of computers (wireless) in a given area. It has two authentication modes- enterprise and personal.
DCL Full-Form – DCL is an acronym for Data Control Language. It is a command that lets users control access to the data stored in any database. Any user requires permission for managing data, creating tables, etc. In such cases, we use the DCL command for performing these tasks for controlling the DBS (database system).
SSL Full-Form – SSL is an acronym for Secure Sockets Layer. It is a protocol that provides confidential data security via the internet following the encryption process. It creates a secure connection between a browser and a server. A website (that is SSL-certified) consists of a padlock before its URL, which indicates security while performing the transactions.
If you are a tech geek aiming to crack the GATE exams for 2022, you must know the meanings and full forms of all the technical terms that might come into practical use, like WPA, DCL, SSL,LAN full form, etc. As science nerds, you must understand the implications of these terms. Prepare better for your upcoming exams with a set of GATE syllabus, study materials, full forms, the difference between articles, sample papers, and notes. All the best!